Quartz Sand: What Is It And What Is It Used For
What is Quartz Sand
Quartz, also known as silica, is one of the main rock-forming minerals with very stable physical properties. It is mainly used to produce quartz sand (also known as silica sand). Its main chemical composition is SiO2, a number of other impurities are also present in small amounts, e.g. Al2O3, Fe2O3, MgO, and CaO.
What Is The Main Component Of Quartz Sand (Silica)
Industrial quartz sand includes ordinary quartz sand, refined quartz sand, high-purity quartz sand and quartz silica sand.
Different Types Quartz Sand Comparison
|Sand Types||SiO2||Fe2O3||Particle Size||Application|
|Ordinary Quartz Sand||≥90-99%||≤0.06-0.02%||0.075-4mm||Metallurgy, graphite silicon carbide and glass products|
|Refined Quartz Sand||≥99-99.5%||≤0.005%||0.005-1mm||Refractories, smelting ferrosilicon, metallurgical flux, ceramics, abrasives|
|H-Purity Quartz Sand||≥99.5-99.9%||≤0.001%||0.005-1mm||Construction, chemical industry, plastic, rubber|
|Fused Quartz Sand||99.9-99.95%||5PPM-25PPM||0.075-5mm||Important filter materials for water plant drainage and sewage treatment|
|Fused Quartz Sand||75-96%||0.9±0.3%||0.0048-0.045mm||Electronics, integrated circuits, plastics, coatings, rubber|
Ordinary quartz sand
appearance: some large particles have yellow skin cysts on the surface.
Ordinary quartz sand is generally a kind of water treatment filter material made of natural quartz ore, which is crushed, washed, dried and screened twice; the filter material has: no impurities, no edges and corners, high density, high mechanical strength, load-bearing The sewage line has the characteristics of long service life and is an ideal material for chemical water treatment.
Refined quartz sand, also known as pickling quartz sand
using high-quality natural quartz sand and mortar.
High-purity quartz sand
using high-quality natural quartz stone and mortar.
fused silica sand
Physical properties: Appearance is colorless and transparent block, granule or white powder.
Relative gravity: 2.21.
Mohs hardness: 7.0.
Appearance is gray or off-white powder,
Bulk density: 200 to 250 kg/m3.What are the common production processes in the quartz processing process?
The Production Process of Quartz Sand
1. Washing, grading and desliming
The grade of SiO2 in quartz sand decreases as the particle size of quartz sand becomes finer, and the grade of impurity minerals is opposite. This phenomenon is especially obvious in quartz sand containing a large amount of clay minerals. Washing and desliming are very necessary.
Scrub is to remove the thin-film iron and argillaceous impurity minerals on the surface of quartz sand by means of mechanical force and abrasive peeling force between sand grains, and further scrape the mineral aggregates that have not been formed into monomers. There are mainly two methods of rod friction scrubbing and mechanical scrubbing.
The separation of mica and quartz is difficult, and two methods of flotation using anionic collectors under acidic conditions or anionic-cationic collectors under alkaline conditions can achieve good results. Generally, after scrubbing, desliming, magnetic separation and flotation, the purity of quartz sand can reach more than 99%, which basically meets the needs of industrial sand.
Dilute acid has a significant effect on the removal of iron and aluminum, while the removal of titanium and chromium is carried out by acid leaching with relatively concentrated sulfuric acid and aqua regia. Usually, the mixed acid composed of the above acids is used for acid leaching and removal of impurity minerals. remove. The control of various factors of acid leaching should be based on the requirements of the final grade of quartz, and the concentration, temperature and dosage of acid should be reduced as much as possible, so as to achieve quartz purification at a lower cost of beneficiation.The role of Quartz in the ceramic industry
What Is The Quartz Stone Good For
Quartz is one of the main components in ceramics and plays an important role in both the ceramic body and the enamel.
The Role Of Quartz In The Porcelain Blank
1) It has an important influence on the ceramic body at room temperature and heating. Before firing, quartz plays a role in adjusting the plasticity of the mud in the billet. And can reduce shrinkage during drying, shorten drying time and prevent body deformation (including deformation and collapse).
2) During sintering, the heating expansion of quartz can properly offset the sintering shrinkage of the blank; and when a large amount of glass appears, the quartz becomes the skeleton of the ceramic, which can prevent the blank from bending and deforming during sintering. .
3) The chemical affinity is very strong at high temperature, and it can be combined with other various oxides. The liquid viscosity at high temperature is very high, which increases the bonding ability of the green body.
4) Increase the mechanical strength and transparency of the green body.
The Role Of Quartz In Enamel
1) Quartz in the glaze is melted by more fusible substances CaO, Na2O, K2O and MgO to form transparent quartz glass, which makes the glaze bright and improves the gloss of the glaze.
2) The thermal expansion coefficient of quartz in the glaze is small, and the heat resistance is good.
3) Quartz has high softening temperature and high liquid viscosity at high temperature.
4) Quartz can increase the mechanical strength of the glaze, improve the hardness of the glaze surface, make the porcelain wear-resistant, and have good chemical stability, which is not affected by acid erosion.
5) Make the glaze transparent and bright.
What Is The General Fineness Of Quartz Powder And Quartz Sand
The commonly used mesh numbers of quartz powder are: 200 mesh, 325 mesh (also known as 400 mesh), 800 mesh, 1250 mesh, etc.
The commonly used meshes of quartz sand are: 4-6 mesh, 6-8 mesh, 8-16 mesh, 16-26 mesh, 26-40 mesh, 40-70 mesh, 70-100 mesh (or 70-120 mesh).
How Is Artificial Quartz Plate Manufactured
1. Raw material collection: procurement of raw and auxiliary materials such as glass, quartz, resin, etc.
2. Material selection: use fans, iron removal equipment, and manual selection to remove impurities and iron filings in the granular raw materials.
3. Ingredients: After the selection of materials is completed, the materials are transported into the mixing system. The material is fully mixed in the gravity-free mixer to eliminate the problem of material color difference and uneven particle size. After the mixing is completed, it is transported to the corresponding batching bin, and the batching system automatically batches during production.
4. Stirring: Fully stirring and mixing the unsaturated polyester resin, pigment, auxiliary agent and granular powder.
5. Cloth: The mixed material that has been stirred enters the cloth car through the conveyor belt, and then the cloth car will evenly distribute the material into the cloth mold frame.
6. Vacuum high-frequency vibration platen: After the cloth is finished, it is transferred to the press equipment for vibration pressing under the vacuum condition of -0.1MPa.
7. Heating and curing: After pressing, the blank is heated and formed at 85-110°C in a curing furnace.
8. Thickness grinding: After the blank is solidified, it is cooled down for 24 hours, and then enters the thickness-setting equipment for thickness-setting.
9. Polishing: After the thickness is determined, water grinding and polishing are carried out through a 20-head polishing machine. According to different needs, polish to a gloss of 40-70°.
10. Inspection: Inspect the appearance quality of the plate.
11. Cutting board: Use vertical and horizontal cutting and bridge cutting machine equipment to cut the product to the required size.
12. Packaging and storage: The cut products are air-dried and packaged, and stored in the warehouse.